Vox Jaguar V304 Power Supply

Tech Questions Regarding Vox Organs

Vox Jaguar V304 Power Supply

Postby velo-hobo on Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:14 pm

I'm repairing the power supply on a Jaguar I picked up recently, the filter caps were completely shot so it's the first step in my overhaul of the organ.

While working on replacing the electrolytics, the small diode between one transformer lead and the negative side of the filter cap gave way as well. From my read of the schematic this is the rectifying diode, SD2. Can someone give me an idea of an appropriate replacement? I've worked on other rectifier circuits before, not in audio applications, but my sense is that component selection is not critical as long as it meets or exceeds the power handling required by the circuit.

Here's a photo showing the power supply and broken diode. I'm pretty sure the other diode to the right of the broken one is the zener diode. For some reason the page over at voxshowroom () detailing the power supply says the small diode is the zener, and the larger one is the rectifier, which I think is incorrect based on the schematic and what I'm seeing in the way the circuit is wired up. Can anyone back me up on this, and recommend a replacement diode?

Thanks
Aaron
velo-hobo

Re: Vox Jaguar V304 Power Supply

Postby velo-hobo on Mon May 02, 2011 5:04 pm

Just a follow-up to my previous post, I was able to read the code on the old rectifier diode - it's a GE-509, used in lots of old televisions I guess, but it is equivalent to a modern 1N4007 diode (1000V 1A)

I dropped a new 1N4007 in there and it works with no problems.

Also I replaced the filter caps (totally shot) and zener diode (which was shorted closed).

I emailed Gary at Northcoast and he said he would look into the error on his page regarding this power supply. I am certain the small diode is the rectifier and the larger one is the zener, I rebuilt mine with this configuration and it is functioning perfectly now.

Aaron
velo-hobo

---------

Return to Vox Organs