Tuning Temperment

Tech Questions regarded the Wurlitzer Electric Piano

Tuning Temperment

Postby ephriamnagler on Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:43 pm

Hello,

I need to know if when tuning your wurlizter, if you tune each note with the tuner as is, or if you temper it like an acoustic piano?

-Ephriam
ephriamnagler

Re: Tuning Temperment

Postby Raph on Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:52 pm

Wurlitzers are tuned to an even temperament, so each note should be tuned dead on. Get each note as exact as possible (a strobe tuner is recommended in this case.. I use a Peterson Stroboflip). Despite this, it does sometimes help to fine-tune your reeds with your ear by playing the 4th, 5th, and octave intervals and listening for beats.
Raph

Re: Tuning Temperment

Postby mcsugarfree on Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:12 am

of course, you can tune a wurli any way that you want...equal temperament is an impoverished sound--the _single_ advantage it offers (and at significant musical cost) is that you can play in "distant" keys like Db and things sound ok. why not tune to the keys in which you play most frequently (after all, how often does, like, _scriabin_ get played on a wurli?)? i'm a fan of 1/6 comma meantone...

my suspicion is that that tuning that took place in the wurli factory did not result in a strict equal temperament (tuners--people, not machines--tend to "sweeten" certain intervals instinctually...).

fight the power.
mcsugarfree

---------

Return to Wurlitzer Electric Pianos