Rhodes Suitcase static

Our very own top electronics tech, Greg, answers all your electronics questions.

Rhodes Suitcase static

Postby david_10 on Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:32 am

Hello. I'm having trouble with my Rhodes 80 watt Peterson design piano. The tone is rather weak, and there is a persistent static or hissing sound. There is no hum that I can discern. The piano is now making sound, and that is an improvement. Formerly, it was doing nothing at all. So I ordered the power supply and amp video, and the pre-amp rebuild kit. I got all the issues straightened out in the power supply and preamp, and both appear to be working well.

The weak tone might be attributed to the pick-ups---------I notice that they are all loose and have shifted around quite a bit. Readjustment seems to help a lot. But I'm not sure about the static. Could it be the amp modules? One is completely blown, and the other has completely compromised values in the resistors, so probably the caps and transistors are defective also. Could this be causing the static. I ordered the 3300 mfd filter caps for the power supply, but I wound up not using them because the oscilloscope showed that the ripple was within normal tolerances-----------less than a tenth of a volt.

So what do you think? I appreciate any advice you can give me on this.

Thank you very much.
David
david_10

Re: Rhodes Suitcase static

Postby chriscarroll on Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:27 pm

It is hard to tell since you have a known blown amp and defective components. Without rebuilding them it is hard to say what else could be the cause. As far as static, it can be a transistor on the way out or a loose input cable. Pick ups aren't going to cause noise, they could call low output due to multiple failures. I would also bridge the filter caps anyway, because you never known when they will go.
chriscarroll
Site Admin

---------

Return to Greg's Electronics Corner