Rail Rhodes preamp distortion?

Tech Questions Regarding any of the Custom Products we have here at Vintage Vibe

Rail Rhodes preamp distortion?

Postby pat on Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:11 pm

Hello! I bought one of the Vintage Vibe Rail Rhodes preamps a little less than a year ago. It has worked great except I have noticed that sometimes when I put a new 9v in it will distort a bit on hard notes. It never lasted long and wasn't very noticeable so I never paid it much mind.
But then I was recording and a small amount of distortion kept coming up in the recordings, even though I didn't hear any when playing. All of the things we tried to fix it led me to think the distortion was coming from the Rhodes and not the amp like I had thought (I play out of a 1975ish Fender Twin Reverb Silverface).
I plugged straight into the harp and the distortion completely went away, could the preamp be giving too much power and causing this to happen? Or something else maybe?
Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

-Pat
pat

Re: Rail Rhodes preamp distortion?

Postby chriscarroll on Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:56 pm

The preamp sends out a clean signal but has a lot of gain, if the amp or mixing board is going to clip if it has too many volts going through. before recording play as hard as you are going to play and set the levels to avoid any peaks distorting in the recording. if you only heard the distortion while listening to the recording than it is probably an issue of the record level being too loud.
chriscarroll
Site Admin

---------

Return to Custom Vintage Vibe Products