Preamp Kit & Re-yarning

Tech Questions Regarding the Hohner Clavinet and Pianet.

Preamp Kit & Re-yarning

Postby funk5 on Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:12 pm

Hi all, my first question is in regards to your preamp kit sold on your site. I'm curious if it differs much from the kit sold on clavinet.com? I can tell from the pictures that you use different parts for the caps, just am curious. I used a kit from clavinet.com before, but now have another clavinet and was thinking of trying yours.

Next question is in regards to doing a yarn job. I had problems with the yarn pulling the strings together, and found it difficult to not let this happen. Do you guys have any tips? Thanks so much!

P.S. I see your new 'relic' tips and grommet/hardware sets up on ebay, but haven't seen them on your site yet. Do I have to buy them from ebay at the moment? Also do you use the relic tips all the time now, or only by request?

-Chuck
funk5

Re: Preamp Kit & Re-yarning

Postby chriscarroll on Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:19 pm

Our pre amp kit is a general pre amp rebuild kit and it differs from Clavinet.com They use Wima capacitors, which are good caps and costly, our caps are standard caps. The difference in audio between the two
types is inaudible . There is no reason to need to use these types of caps, although they are higher quality, non the less, the real magic comes in the transistors and choosing the right transistor with the proper beta and low noise. I know they use to use the very common MPSA 18 which is a standard off the shelf transistor which works well but if untested for beta can be noisy and less than perfect. We use a High gain low noise transistor that we test for Beta so it is matched for the operation of the clavinet pre amp. We also offer filter caps to lower any extra white noise hiss that does come from the transistor. This is what sets us apart from their kit we offer a free video on installation from techs who do this for a living. We repair Clavinets and we use our kit exclusivly and it works great for us and our customers. I will say they have a prettier kit though! Honestly either kit will be fine, we just pride ourselves on getting things quiet.

When dealing with yarn the trick is to keep it lite and do not pull tightly on the yarn.Doing so will enhance afterring of the strings. You want to mute the strings, if it is too tight it will pull strings and prohibit dampening. Try picking it with a dental pick or so to loosen it.

We do have the relics on our website now as well as most everything else.
chriscarroll
Site Admin

---------

Return to Hohner Clavinet and Pianet