Old dog learnig new tricks...

Chat about music old and new, or show us your current music project

Old dog learnig new tricks...

Postby seadog on Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:22 am

Hi all,
I'm a guitar player/multi-instrumentalist, and I have recently started to learn my songs on piano, and even write some new songs on the keys. I am making music with that old time rocknroll sound (late sixties flavour - The Band, Jefferson Airplane, Crosby Stills Nash, that sort of thang).
I play in a band, but I'm finding it hard to communicate my ideas to the other players, so I'm gonna record demos of my songs playing all the instruments involved, and the only instument I'm still a novice at is the keys... (Turns out I've really started to dig the instrument!)

My problem is I need a Keyboard of my own, but have no idea which brands/models I should be looking at... I want something portable and the sounds I want to get are mainly nice organ tones (with a rotary option if posible) and tasty electric piano tones that don't sound like the eighties!
Can anybody put me out of my misery and stear me in the right direction?

Cheers,
SeaDog
seadog

Re: Old dog learnig new tricks...

Postby moosears on Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:41 am

If you are looking at a digital portable keyboard, you'd probably want to get a nice keyboard and not fuss around with mid-grade keys. The Nord Electro 61 or a Motif would sound killer if you're going for an organ emulator. I've found from personal experience that I really can't nail key parts without the proper action, which brings you back to having the real Wurlitzer or real Rhodes opposed to a digital counterpart. I chose the Korg Triton out of preference but I needed the weighted action for piano-feel. However, this can ruin playing organ, it's not as fun doing organ trills on weighted keys - believe me. You should check out a MIDI keyboard and a good patch or two - then you save money, keep your options open, and can really choose the size and action the way you want it.
moosears

---------

• Print view • A/a

Return to Music