OB-Xa Broken "key-cones"?, what to do?

Questions about keyboards not listed in other categories

OB-Xa Broken "key-cones"?, what to do?

Postby analogholic on Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:29 am

Hello,

First off, thanks for the great P5 repair youtube video that I just watched.

I´ve had some "clacky" keys since I got the OB-Xa a year ago.
Since I did´t know anything about this stuff, I kept on playing until one day, one key went up and something flew out of the unit. What came out (I now understood) was the bushing and the broken off "key-cone" ?,(Is it what you call it in the video?) that L-shaped tiny rod that holds the bushing.

So yesterday I opened it up and took the whole keyboard out.
Apparently, this happened to the previous owner as well, since another key-cone was broken and was substituted with a plasticshielded wire that prevents the key from raising higher than it should, but of course it wiggles sideways. Is there anything better that can be done?

Thanks in advance
analogholic

Re: OB-Xa Broken "key-cones"?, what to do?

Postby chriscarroll on Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:58 pm

You would have to remove all the keys and bushings and take it to a welding house where they could weld a right angle piece onto the keyboard to replace the broken one.
chriscarroll
Site Admin

Re: OB-Xa Broken "key-cones"?, what to do?

Postby rightkeyrepair on Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:24 pm

Or,
shape a thin piece of wood or plastic and screw it in through drilled holes on the bottom of the frame. I shaped a missing part of a Roland key from wood and it worked. I would think fixing this would be easier. The issue, then, would be the bushing. But, you may be able to cut the bushing and glue just the top part over the newly shaped piece. It doesn't have to look pretty, it just has to work!

-Roger Williams
rightkeyrepair

---------

Return to Other Keyboards