how much is my rhodes worth?

Tell us about Vintage Keyboards you would like to sell

how much is my rhodes worth?

Postby rhodes81 on Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:06 pm

I have been offered a chance to sell my 1981 suitcase 88 Rhodes but I have to name a fair price. The school I work for has offered to buy it and they asked me want I want for it. I have had little luck finding enough identical ones on e-bay's completed items so I can't really figure out what it's really worth. It's in perfect working condition, the electronics have been serviced and are really quiet, but cosmetically it's just ok, still presentable but has some worn tolex and the mesh on one of the speaker sides is a bit torn along the edge. I am the original owner and still have it's original papers. I'm sure it's worth over $1500 but how much?

Thanks for any help.
rhodes81

Re: how much is my rhodes worth?

Postby jus on Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:21 pm

All in all $1500 is a little steep, but not completely unreasonable. If it's a 1981 that means there is a possibility that it has wooden keys, which is a plus for you. One thing you didn't mention is if there is any mold/mildew. This is a huge point for older pianos and is something that can be a pretty big problem. Also the amount of corrosion on the tonebars, the condition of the hammers and damper felts, and of course the action and just sound in general. Knowing that your the original owner helps with confidence because they know it's history. You'll probably see a mark II suitcase 73 key go for around $1000 on average, maybe a little more. I'd say if there isn't any of these problems asking $1500 is pretty fair.
jus

Re: how much is my rhodes worth?

Postby rhodes81 on Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:35 pm

Thanks for the advice! Especially the tip about mold. There is absolutely none of that, this one never spent time in damp basements. I have replaced most hammers with a kit I bought from vintage vibe. The sound is still great!
rhodes81

---------

Return to Vintage Keyboards for Sale