D6, only lower octave makes sound

Tech Questions Regarding the Hohner Clavinet and Pianet.

D6, only lower octave makes sound

Postby was on Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:35 pm

Hi all,

Quick question and I would really appreciate it if someone could give me a hand. Just purchased a D6 and I'm only having 1/3rd of the keys making sound when it's connected to an amp. From starting at the lowest note, the F, I play up to about the first 20 keys without any trouble and there is full sound. Then I hit the next key and the volume drops off considerably, and within about 4-5 keys after that, there is no sound at all. Could this be a pickup issue? I did some recon on the D6 and it appears that the keybed is in the correct position and that the hammer tips are making contact with the strings in the correct position. When toggling all the switches, ABCD, I have sound on all them in the first 20 key range though. Thought pickup due to the way the strings are laid out per pole on the pickup. I'm pretty stumped right now and could really use a hand.

Thanks for all the reads and replies in advance,
Was
was

Re: D6, only lower octave makes sound

Postby tjh392 on Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:52 am

Hi Was

Are there any noticeable cracks in the pickup?

T
tjh392

Postby was on Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:07 pm

Hi T,

Thanks for responding. I don't see any noticeable cracks on the pickup. I really went through the pickups and the soldering points this weekend and everything seems to be fine.

As mentioned, I did spend some more time working on/with the Clav this weekend and I have an "improvement" to the problem. The first 20 keys still make sound, a good sound like it should. The next 40 keys produce sound now, but all of the strings sound muted. The mute bar is not engaged. Could something be muting the strings....like something not sitting right?

I'm totally learning how to work on this from watching the Vintage Vibe video and checking out msg boards, so I really appreciate all the help.

Thanks again,
Was
was

Postby tjh392 on Sun May 09, 2010 3:34 pm

was wrote:As mentioned, I did spend some more time working on/with the Clav this weekend and I have an "improvement" to the problem. The first 20 keys still make sound, a good sound like it should. The next 40 keys produce sound now, but all of the strings sound muted. The mute bar is not engaged. Could something be muting the strings....like something not sitting right?

I'm totally learning how to work on this from watching the Vintage Vibe video and checking out msg boards, so I really appreciate all the help.

Thanks again,
Was

Hmm, Was have you taken off the keybed? I'm guessing if you've bought this Clav in such a state I'm guessing the rubber tips need replacing as they've most likely perished.

When I repaired an Clavinet / Pianet Duo not so long ago most of the tips had come off and over a period of time they had adhered themselves to the string, when the note was pressed the rubber that was now attached to the strings was muting the sound.

Following on from this you might want to check the yarn (though this is unlikely) if it's too tight (a botched job from the previous owner) this will also prevent the strings from ringing out you'll also notice that the strings may be clenched together.

If you can get back to me with the above points that would be great, also any pictures of the D6 inside might help me too.

All the best

Tim
tjh392

Postby was on Tue May 18, 2010 6:05 pm

Hey Tim,

Thanks for the reply and sorry for the length of time, had some things come up.

Yes I took off the keybed to make sure that everything was good. Believe it or not, the rubber tips are in new condition. I was suprised and thought that was the problem too. They must have been replaced recently, I see no signs of wear or of any residue sticking to them.

The yarn is a little worn, but it is not too tight. String placement appears to be good...they are spaced evenly over the pickups and are over top of the metal strike point that is beneath them.

I did a little test about a week ago. I held the mute bar up so that it was not pressing on the strings. The sound was much better and it wasn't as muted as before. I'm not too sure, but is there a way to adjust the height of the mute bar? I have the panel off, but I can't seem to find anywhere/any way to raise it slightly off of the strings. I was even thinking that it might be bent and putting more pressue on the higher register strings, not sure. I can send some pics, let me know what you'd like a shot of on the Clav.

Thanks for the time,
Was
was

---------

Return to Hohner Clavinet and Pianet