Black Beauty: Problem w/ PSU

Tech Questions Regarding any of the Custom Products we have here at Vintage Vibe

Black Beauty: Problem w/ PSU

Postby andi on Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:20 am

Hi everybody,
I have a question concerning the use of the Black Beauty with a power supply. Everytime when I'm trying to hook it up to a 9V power supply, I get a screeching high-frequency noise, whereas with a battery it works just fine. Now what's really strange is that when I connect the PSU to the battery clip inside the BB, it also works fine. Is there anything I'm doing wrong?

Also, when I have the Rhodes turned up to full blast, the BB is distorting. I know that my Rhodes has a very hot output, but is there anything I could do about that? I'd like to feed the BB straight from the harp, so any idea apart from just turning down the Rhodes a little would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot for any suggestion you guys might have!
Greetings over the ocean,
Andreas
andi

Re: Black Beauty: Problem w/ PSU

Postby chriscarroll on Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:43 pm

Do you have a tip postive 9V power supply with N style adapter? The Black Beauty is about 50db of pure, clean gain it would only make your amp distort if too much gain is being sent to the input of your amplifier. While it has 50db of gain, you should never need that much gain.
Are these new symptoms or has this happened since you recieved the Black Beauty?
chriscarroll
Site Admin

Postby andi on Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:24 pm

Hi Chris,
I do have a center positive PSU, and I guess the N-Style adapter is what we refer to as a 2,5mm DC-plug. However, the adapter fits the jack in the BB, so that should be alright.

I know, 50dB gain is a lot, but I'm pretty sure it's not the amp that is distorting, but the BB.
I'm having these symptoms since I first tried to power the BB with a European PSU. Maybe they're all pretty bad quality, but on the other hand I tried quite a few of them. It's just a pity that I can't try the Radio Shack PSU you recommended...

EDIT: I also thought of getting something like a Dunlop DC Brick, but as far as I know they don't deliver the 800mA necessary to drive the BB.
andi

Postby chriscarroll on Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:09 pm

Send it back to us through the mail and we will look it over for you, then send it back once it is working properly.
chriscarroll
Site Admin

Postby andi on Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:17 pm

Thanks Chris, that's great! I'll send it ASAP.
Happy Thanksgiving and greetings from Europe!
andi

Postby peterkeys88 on Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:51 pm

Hi, i purchased a Black Beauty Rhodes preamp probably two years ago now and have loved it. Ive been running it on batteries but want to get the AC adaptor. I recall there being an info sheet explaining what the correct power plug would be but i lost that. Does anyone have the link to get it through radioshack or someone
peterkeys88

Postby andi on Mon May 18, 2009 7:13 am

It's on the kit directions page:

By the way, I wanted to say thank you for the great service concerning the checkup of my Black Beauty. That's very much appreciated!
andi

---------

Return to Custom Vintage Vibe Products